International students 

Information for international students

External/visiting students

The Berlin School of Mind and Brain (M&B) is an institution for graduate studies and research, and an interdisciplinary umbrella organization for its members in more than 80 labs and research groups at six universities in the Berlin metropolitan area.

To find a suitable lab or group for your internships, as an external or visiting students you should contact the most relevant labs directly.

See also our page: Internships and lab visits

You will find the list of possible heads of labs, or group or project leaders here (internal link) - and under these headings:

  • Faculty
  • Associated Research Groups
  • Associated Researchers
  • Postdocs
  • Doctoral candidates

Minerva Stiftung

Minerva Short-Term Research Grants are available for all subject areas and are open to applicants from all research facilities (in Israel - public or governmental research institutes) and universities in Germany and Israel. Applicants should not be older than 38 years. Further information is available here.

Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF): Travel grants

Link to website

For junior researchers pursuing experimental projects in basic biomedical research. For further requirements, please refer to "Who can apply?"


  • to learn clearly-defined methods useful for your ongoing research and the work of your research group at home by visiting another laboratory, or by attending research-orientated courses including practical training (the practical part has to cover at least 50% of the course);
  • to enable graduates from abroad and their potential PhD supervisors to evaluate the scientific and personal prerequisites before embarking on a PhD thesis. To this end, the graduate student shall pursue a short project in his/her potential PhD supervisor’s laboratory for at least 4 weeks.

International students accepted to the M&B doctoral program

Your first point of contact should be the management of the Berlin School of Mind and Brain (M&B).

Queries about Visa, residence permits, registration, etc.: Please contact our central office first. Hopefully, we will be able to help you, or we will direct you to the Welcome Center:

Humboldt-Universität International Scholar Services / Welcome Centre

To facilitate its international scientists' entry into the professional environment in Germany and to ensure the university becomes an even more attractive place to work, HU has opened a service centre for international researchers and doctoral students.

Website link

International Scholar Services would like to ensure that your time at Humboldt-Universität and in Berlin gets off to a good start. We help you take care of all the important non-academic affairs that you will face before your arrival and in the first few weeks after you have arrived – from applying for a visa to obtaining health insurance or opening a bank account. We support during your stay and also advise you on what you need to do before you leave Berlin.

The International Scholar Services is centrally located in the main university building, where two team members will offer their support and advice.

This page last updated on: 14 July 2022